Reading Notes: Nursery Rhymes, Part A

    This week I chose to read the Nursery Rhymes unit. These nursery rhymes are from The Nursery Rhyme Book by Andrew Lang. So far, I have pretty much enjoyed this unit. I do have to say though that reading through all of the nursery rhymes takes a lot longer than reading through regular stories. While reading the various nursery rhymes, I was brought back to my childhood and eighth grade days where we would write poems. Another thing while reading through these nursery rhymes is that I could not help but sing every single one of them in my head. If I knew the tune of them then I read it with the tune, but I did not know majority of them. All of the nursery rhymes in Reading A were pretty much fun to read, but often times they all got pretty old, and I wanted to skip them.

    The nursery rhyme section that I enjoyed the most in Reading A was the Nursery Rhymes: Riddles. Judging by the title you can figure out that all of these were going to be riddles to solve. I found trying to solve all of these nursery rhyme riddles very entertaining, and definitely pushed me to continue reading. I was not able to solve any of the riddles, except for the riddle about Humpty Dumpty. That riddle is a classic.

    The rest of the nursery rhyme sections were all pretty much the same. The sections include tales, proverbs, songs, paradoxes, charms and lullabies, and games. Even though these sections are about different topics, most of the nursery rhymes seemed to just all fade together. The sections that were not my favorite were Nursery Rhymes: Songs Part 1 and Nursery Rhymes: Paradoxes. I did not enjoy these nursery rhymes because they were all pretty long. 

Comments

Popular Posts