Reading Notes: Great Plains, Part B

    This week I chose to read the Great Plains unit. The stories are from the Myths and Legends of the Great Plains by Katharine Berry Judson. I did not enjoy the stories in this unit very much. I found some of the Reading A stories interesting, but majority of the others were not my style. With Reading B, I found almost all of the stories to not be my style. I found myself getting distracted and thinking of other things while reading majority of these stories, so it was difficult for me to follow along with them.

    The first story in Reading B that I enjoyed was Why the Possum Plays Dead. This was a cute tale about a rabbit and a possum who wanted wives. They both went on a journey to get a wife, but rabbit got there before possum. When possum eventually arrived, he was too late and everyone had a wife, so they journeyed elsewhere. Rabbit arrived first again but the animals there were at war. When possum arrived, all of the animals were fighting. Possum was hit and he eventually rolled over and pretended to be dead. This was an interesting story in general and I did not get distracted while reading it. I have noticed that I have enjoyed a lot of the stories that are about animals and why they do certain things.

    The other story that I enjoyed in Reading B was the story of the Coyote and Snake. The coyote was walking and came across the snake. The snake told the coyote to walk around him, or he would die, but the coyote did not believe the snake, so he walked over him. The snake bit him but coyote did not feel it and continued to walk. Eventually the coyote died and thus the snake had told the truth. This story was short, but it was interesting, and I did not get distracted while reading it.




Comments

Popular Posts