Reading Notes: Great Plains, Part A

    This week I chose to read the Great Plains unit. The stories are from the Myths and Legends of the Great Plains by Katharine Berry Judson. So far, I have not enjoyed the stories in this unit very much. I found some of the Reading A stories interesting, but majority of the others were not my style. I found myself getting distracted and thinking of other things while reading majority of these stories, so it was difficult for me to follow along with them.

    The story that I enjoyed the most in Reading A was the story of The Buffalo and the Grizzly Bear. It was a cute little tale of how the buffalo and grizzly bear potentially became friends. The story did not start off friendly though. It started off with the grizzly bear accusing the buffalo of wanting to fight him and then the grizzly bear started beating up the buffalo. Eventually the buffalo became angry and started fighting back. From my perspective, I think that the grizzly bear realized that he would not be able to win the fight, so he asked the buffalo if he wanted to become friends since they were so much alike. I enjoyed this story because it started off dramatic and then continued to build drama and suspense during the whole fight. It was also just an interesting story in general and I did not get distracted while reading it.

    Another story that I enjoyed in Reading A was Unktomi and the Bad Songs. This story was a tale of how Unktomi tricked the ducks, geese, and swans. Unktomi carried grass in a bundle and said they were bad songs. The ducks, geese, and swans insisted that Unktomi sing them the songs even though they were bad. Unktomi tricked them to close their eyes and they did, while he was singing to them, he tried killing the swan. Some of them were able to escape but Unktomi cooked the ones that he killed. While they were cooking, he fell asleep, and a mink ate all of the food. When Unktomi woke up and went to eat he saw that there was nothing but bones in the kettle. I thought this story was interesting and I enjoyed that he received karma for tricking the animals.

Comments

Popular Posts