Reading Notes: Stories from Congo, Part B

    This week I chose to read the Stories from Congo unit. These stories are from Notes on the Folklore of the Fjort and were collected by R. E. Dennett. The Reading B stories were mainly about animals. I found the Reading A stories to be more interesting to me. There were some intriguing stories in Reading B, but most of them were either confusing, in the sense that the stories were all over the place, or that they were just a bit boring. However, I did like that these were all single paged stories. This made the stories short and straight to the point. Most of these stories were about trickery and how doing the wrong thing will bite you in the butt later on. I have enjoyed this unit, but there were other units that I liked more.

The Antelope And The Leopard reading was a story that was all over the place, but I liked the ending of the story. The story led up to the whole reason as to why leopards always kill an antelope when they first see it. This reading was basically giving us the history of the reasoning.

I found The Turtle And The Man reading to be interesting. In the story, the turtle tricks multiple animals into helping him and then does not share his food with them, even though these other animals helped the turtle carry the food. In the end one of the animals tricks the turtle and he ends up dead. I liked the ending to that story because the turtle was greedy and never shared when he promised that he would and he ended up getting what he deserved. The lesson of this story is to not be greedy and break promises or something bad will happen to you. Other stories that had endings similar to this is The Fetish Sunga and The Rabbit And The Antelope. 

    Even though my storybook will not involve animals, I do imagine there being some sort of trickery to mine. Reading this unit has helped me in creating a master manipulator character.




Comments

Popular Posts