Reading Notes: Arabian Nights, Part B

    This week I chose to read the Arabian Nights unit. Reading B contained the stories of Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp by Andrew Lang. I enjoyed these stories because they were interesting to me. Before reading the story of Aladdin, I had only seen the Disney movie, so I was definitely thrown for a loop. 

First off, in this story there was a genie from a ring and a genie from a lamp. Both of these genies ended up with Aladdin. I feel like that is one too many genies for one character, but it worked for this story. I wish that the genies weren’t made out to be hideous. I think they should be made out to be more attractive. After all, they are granting you wishes so why should they be ugly?

Second of all, Aladdin was granted an unlimited amount of wishes. Again, I think that is way too many wishes, but it worked for this story. There are so many different ways this story could go if the amount of wishes Aladdin could be granted were limited. This could make the story more suspenseful and concise, rather than something bad happening and Aladdin always fixing it with wishes.

Lastly, the brother magician characters worked really well for this story. I liked how they were both evil and played tricks, and I also liked how they both died in the end. Conflict characters always make the story more interesting.

In the story that I want to write, there are already cruel characters from the original story. Most of these characters will be targets in the story. I already have the FBI placed as conflict characters, but I am starting to get ideas of my main princess characters running into different conflict characters while they are on their journey to commit their crime, or while they are on their journey of running away or hiding out after committing their crime.

Comments

Popular Posts