Reading Notes: Apuleius's Cupid and Psyche, Part B

    I finished the unit of Apuleius’s Cupid and Psyche written by Apuleius and translated by Tony Kline. I did not particularly like this unit as much as the last or as much as the other stories that I’ve read in this class. However, I did like how the story was set up. It began as one story and then the old woman character told the story of Cupid and Psyche and then when their story was over, the other story continued. It would be neat to start off my project story in the same manner. I could start off the story with two FBI agents, who are also partners, that have retired, and they are having a game night or dinner, and then they begin to share stories of previous cases that they’ve worked together on. These cases would be the ones involving the princesses. Then after their case stories are over the focus is back to them having a game night or dinner.

    This time around, the story that interested me was Venus and Psyche. It was short but there was quite a bit of action. There was hair pulling, beating, and yelling. This just showed how angry Venus was that her son disobeyed her and how much she did not like Psyche.

    The character Venus fits the role of one of the characters I will use in my story. Evil mother-in-law and evil stepmother are pretty close. Venus was dramatic and verbally and physically abusive; her character traits give me ideas for my story. 

    Psyche’s two sisters also fit the role of one of the characters I will use in my story. In the story of Cupid and Psyche there are two evil sisters, whereas in my story there is only one evil stepsister. The sisters were cruel and deceiving; these traits would work in my story.

    There were many characters involved in the story of Cupid and Psyche. It was kind of hard to keep up them, as well as their background information. Again, this unit was written for a sophisticated literary audience, so I had difficulties understanding and following the story at times. 

                                                                                                    Picture of Venus Found in the Story                                                                                                                                                                                        


Comments

Popular Posts