Reading Notes: Apuleius's Cupid and Psyche, Part A

    This week I chose to read the unit Apuleius's Cupid and Psyche written by Apuleius and translated to English by Toni Kline. These stories started off rather slow and took me forever to read. This unit so far has not been my favorite, but hopefully the second part of the stories will be better. There were words that threw me off and I felt as if I got lost during some parts. There were some stories that had my attention, but only for small things. 

    I did like the story of Psyche’s Beauty. The characters in the story were great. Venus was the one who caused this story to be filled with drama (as well as Psyche’s two older sisters but that occurs later on). I would like to have characters like that in my project story.

    The story of The Magical Palace also intrigued me just because of the details provided. In my story, I would like to set my scene the way this story was set. Not as in the same place, the same palace, etc., but as in the way the place was described along with the palace and all the treasures inside. I would like my readers to be able to visualize the scene in their heads.

The Jealousy of Psyche’s Sisters story interested me. There was much drama and scheming involved. I like the idea of misleading and deceiving because it causes suspense. I also liked that the sisters died, and Psyche got to live. I liked how Psyche used the way her sisters deceived her to deceive them, very clever.

These stories are giving me more concrete ideas about how I want my stories to unfold. What I did not like in these stories was how distracted I got. I know this was mainly due to the fact that it was written to a more a sophisticated audience, but this story contained many words and details that were unnecessary to the story. Sometimes it’s okay to have to fluff in a story, but other times it seems to confuse and distract the readers from the story as a whole.


                                                            Psyche from the Story: Psyche's Beauty

Comments

Popular Posts